Spring has indeed sprung. And with the new season comes a refresh of the scrumptious Cosmic Crisp® Super Board. We’ve updated recipes and added new ones with spring ingredients, like hints of strawberry, pops of chive, tarragon or mint, and fresh, tangy buttermilk. We’ve even included a surprise “guest” – our brand new, Cosmic Crisp® Garden Focaccia.
Have some fun with your favorite Spring special days. Or add some much-needed whimsy and play to dinner any day.
Ready to Get Inspired?
Cosmic Cheddar Hand Pies
A thick, juicy Cosmic Crisp® slice sandwiched between store-bought crust and slathered with strawberry jam is the secret to creating these simple anytime treats. Nestling in thin slices of tender baked ham and sharp cheddar sends them over the top. Use spring-inspired cookie cutters for seasonal, celebratory change-ups – from ovals to blossoms or baskets and hearts. A smattering of flake salt or sparkling sugar on top give a winning finish!
- Cut a Cosmic Crisp® crosswise into 6 ⅜-inch thick slices. Remove the seeds and cut in half
- Unroll two dairy case pie crusts onto a lightly floured surface
- Using a 4- to 5-inch round (or seasonal) cutter, cut out 12 dough shapes and place on baking sheet
- Add an apple slice to one side of 6 of the dough cut outs
- Slather each apple slice with strawberry or other favorite jam
- Top with very thin slices of baked ham and aged white cheddar
- Fold the other side of the dough over the apple and press edges together with fingers or fork
- Brush each hand pie with melted butter or egg wash and sprinkle with sugar or flake salt
- Bake in a 375°F oven about 25 minutes until golden brown
Meet the newest addition to the Cosmic Crisp® Super Board: Garden Focaccia! Starting with a simple recipe, this bread becomes a centerpiece by adding Cosmic Crisp® apples and other fresh flavors. Tap into the flavors of the season to create a one-of-a-kind snack that is sure to impress. A few extra steps in creating detail with the toppings will go a long way!
Cosmic Crisp® Crackers
Step aside plain fruit chips. Plant-based apple crackers are taking the snack world’s center stage! Cut Cosmic Crisp® apples ¼-inch thick straight down from the stem. Spritz with cooking spray, then set ‘em and forget ‘em a few hours or overnight. Sprinkle with snipped, fresh herbs just before serving.
- Slice Cosmic Crisp® ¼-inch thick vertically from the stem end down
- Arrange in a single layer onto baking sheets lightly sprayed with non-stick cooking spray
- Sprinkle with whatever spice you please: cracked pink peppercorns or black peppercorns, everything bagel, or cumin seed
- Bake in a 250°F oven for 1 hour. Turn slices. Sprinkle with more seasoning. Bake 1½ hours longer or until apples appear less glossy and are slightly dry to the touch.
- Turn off oven and let apples stand until oven is cool or overnight
- Sprinkle soft tender fresh herbs such as dill, tarragon, or parsley
Cosmic Crisp® Wrap Ups!
Why stop short with salami when charcuterie can mean a multitude of meats?! Cut Cosmic Crisp® into seeded wedges and enwrap in prosciutto, thinly sliced ham, or smoked turkey. Floral honey makes these easy snacks more satisfying. Stir in some hot sauce for a tickle on the tongue.
- Cut Cosmic Crisp® into 4 or 8 seeded wedges
- Wrap with pieces of salami, prosciutto, or sliced baked ham; secure with wooden toothpicks
- Mix a few drops of hot sauce with a couple tablespoons of honey and drizzle on top
Spicy-Sweet Dipping Dust
Of all the days this season, our Dipping Dust was specially made for one of spring’s most Special days, Cinco De Mayo. But it easily satisfies cravings for bold, flavorful snacks for casual nights, too.
- Mix together a couple of tablespoons of chili powder with 1 tablespoon turbinado or raw sugar and 1 teaspoon each of ground cumin, dried orange peel, and sea salt
- For more flavor, mix in one teaspoon of smoked paprika and ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- Dip seeded wedges of Cosmic Crisp® into the Spicy-Sweet Dipping Dust and serve
Sassy Cheesy Apple Spread
Part cheese ball, part dip, this apple-loaded play on pimento cheese blends equal parts finely chopped Cosmic Crisp with grated, dry-aged white cheddar. Whirled in a blender with sour cream, Worcestershire, yellow mustard, honey & a healthy pinch of garlic powder. 2 Towns Ciderhouse Cosmic Crisp® craft cider gives just enough punch of bright, piquant flavor.
- Place 2 cups of grated Aged Cheddar Cheese, ½ cup sour cream, and ⅓ cup 2 Towns Ciderhouse Cosmic Crisp® Cider in a blender
- Add one tablespoon each of Worcestershire Sauce, prepared yellow mustard and honey along with a healthy pinch of garlic powder
- Whirl until smooth.
- Stir in about 1 cup finely chopped Cosmic Crisp® with skin on along with ½-1 cup more grated Aged Cheddar Cheese
- Serve in a hollowed-out Cosmic Crisp® along with Cosmic Crackers or fresh apple slices. Top with fresh spring herbs, like chives or dill.
Apple Waldorf-Style Tassies
A quick toss of Cosmic Crisp® apple chunks, bits of celery and fennel, and toasted hazelnuts in a simple, yet dreamy buttermilk-Greek yogurt-based dressing transforms classic Waldorf salad in minutes. Spoon into adorable, 1½-inch crust tassies made from dairy case pie crust in a mini muffin pan.
- Toss together 1 Cosmic Crisp® apple, cut into ¼- to ½-inch chunks, with ¼ cup of celery, and ½ of a bulb thinly sliced fennel bulb and fronds.
- Whisk together a dressing of ¾ cup buttermilk, ¼ cup Greek yogurt, 1 tablespoon of each lemon juice, chopped chives, and chopped tarragon. Season with salt and pepper
- Roll your favorite homemade or purchased pie-crust dough onto a lightly floured surface
- Cut dough using 4-inch and or 5-inch round cutters
- Press rounds into bottoms of ungreased mini muffin cups
- Prick the dough with a fork and bake in a 375°F oven for about 5 minutes. Let cool in the pan.
- Spoon Waldorf Salad mixture into each baked “tassie” cup.
Apple Shortbread Wafers
Crispy, cheddar-y, and chock-full of Cosmic Crisp®, these simple slice ‘n bake, sweet and crunchy wafers make you wanna lose store-bought in a box. Flour, cheddar and good, sweet cream butter create the base, while Cosmic Crisp® and cayenne fire up the flavor. Knead, shape and chill overnight. Bake ‘til golden for perfect handheld bites.
- In a mixer bowl, beat together 1½ cups shredded Aged Cheddar Cheese and ½ cup grated very cold butter.
- Beat until the mixture is rich and creamy.
- Spoon in 1 cup all-purpose flour and pinch or two of cayenne or spicy seasoning salt.
- Stir in 1 cup finely chopped Cosmic Crisp®
- Spoon the chunky mixture into a 1-gallon self-sealing plastic bag.
- Gently press the dough into the bottom of the bag and form a square shape.
- Chill the dough for several hours or overnight.
- To serve, slice the dough ¼-inch thick and bake in a 350°F oven for 20-25 minutes.
Show Us Your Super Board!
We’d love to see how you are getting creative with Cosmic Crisp® apples to create your own unique Super Board. Tag us on social media with the hashtag #CosmicCrisp.