- 2-3 Cosmic Crisp® apples, washed with skin on
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 shallots, sliced thinly longways
- ⅓ cup low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic or champagne vinegar
- 1½ teaspoons finely chopped fresh sage or fresh rosemary*
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup grated sharp white cheddar cheese (optional)
*Feel free to change up the herbs depending on the season: For spring, add fresh mint or tarragon. For summer, stir in fresh basil. For fall, add fresh thyme.
Cut the apples into quarters. Remove the seeds. Set aside 2-3 quarters and slice the remaining pieces ¼-inch to ½-inch thick.
Heat a large skillet on medium-high. Add the olive oil and butter and let melt, about 1 minute. Stir in the shallots and cook 2-3 minutes until softened.
Add the apples to the pan. Pour in the broth. Add the salt. Stir well.
Cook for 14 minutes or until all the liquid has evaporated and the apples are browned just around the edges and slightly soft. Take off the heat.
Stir in the vinegar and herbs. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle on cheese, if using.
Garnish with a few whole sage leaves or rosemary sprigs if desired.