It’s time for those magical gatherings we look forward to all year. Kick off the season in style with this mouthwatering menu of holiday-inspired Cosmic Crisp® recipes.
Cosmic Cheddar Hand Pies
A thick, juicy Cosmic Crisp® slice sandwiched between store-bought crust and slathered with blueberry jam is the secret to creating these simple anytime treats. Nestling in thin slices of sharp cheddar sends them over the top. Use large star-shape cookie cutters for the summer change-up. A smattering of flake salt or sparkling sugar on top give a winning finish!
- Cut a Cosmic Crisp® crosswise into 6 ⅜-inch thick slices. Remove the seeds and cut in half
- Unroll two dairy case pie crusts onto a lightly floured surface
- Using a 4- to 5-inch round (or seasonal) cutter, cut out 12 dough shapes and place on baking sheet
- Add an apple slice to one side of 6 of the dough cut outs
- Slather each apple slice with blueberry or other favorite jam
- Top with very thin slices of aged white cheddar
- Fold the other side of the dough over the apple and press edges together with fingers or fork
- Brush each hand pie with melted butter or egg wash and sprinkle with sugar or flake sal
- Bake in a 375°F oven about 25 minutes until golden brown
Cosmic Crisp® Crackers
Step aside plain fruit chips. Plant-based apple “crackers” are taking the snack world’s center stage! Cut Cosmic Crisp® apples ¼-inch thick straight down from the stem. Spritz with cooking spray, then set ‘em and forget ‘em a few hours or overnight in a low heat oven. Sprinkle simply with sea salt just before serving.
- Slice Cosmic Crisp® ¼-inch thick vertically from the stem end down
- Arrange in a single layer onto baking sheets lightly sprayed with non-stick cooking spray
- Bake in a 250°F oven for 1 hour. Turn slices. Bake 1½ hours longer or until apples appear less glossy and are slightly dry to the touch.
- Turn off oven and let apples stand until oven is cool or overnight
- Sprinkle simply with sea salt.
- Serve with a schmear of spreadable cheese or Goat Cheese and a favorite relish or Cosmic Crisp® Apple Relish.
Cosmic Crisp® Wrap Ups
Why stop short with salami when charcuterie can mean a multitude of meats?! Cut Cosmic Crisp® into seeded wedges and enwrap in prosciutto, thinly sliced ham, or salami. Sticky sweet honey makes these easy snacks more satisfying. Stir in some hot sauce for a tickle on the tongue.
- Cut Cosmic Crisp® apples into 4 or 8 seeded wedges.
- Wrap with pieces of salami, prosciutto, or sliced baked ham; secure with wooden toothpicks. Tuck in a sprig of fresh rosemary.
Cosmic Crisp® Wonton Wrap-Ups
For a frilly change of pace from the charcuterie wrap-ups, cut Cosmic Crisp® apples into seeded wedges and wrap on end with wonton wrappers to form pretty ruffled edges. Brush on a smidge of buttery goodness—melted butter mixed with a bit of chili powder or minced garlic or both—and bake just until the wonton “skirts” turn a golden hue. Serve with honey enlivened with a whisper of hot sauce.
- Cut Cosmic Crisp® into 4 or 8 seeded wedges
- Gently wrap with wonton wrappers
- Mix 2 tablespoons melted butter with ½ teaspoon chili powder and 2 cloves garlic, minced. Brush butter mixture on wonton wrappers
- Bake in a 425°F oven until the wrappers turn golde
- Mix a few drops of hot sauce with a couple of tablespoons of honey and drizzle on top
Spicy-Sweet Dipping Dust
A simple, yet flavor-bursting blend of hot chili, dried citrus, raw sugar, cumin, and salt beckoning much-beloved Mexican Tajin fruit seasoning, but better. Sprinkle over wedges of Cosmic Crisp® Apple and serve! Lip-smacking good!
- Mix together a couple tablespoons of chili powder with 1 tablespoon turbinado or raw sugar and 1 teaspoon each of ground cumin, a pinch of two of cayenne and sea salt
- For more flavor, mix in one teaspoon of smoked paprika and ¼ teaspoon nutme
- Dip seeded wedges of Cosmic Crisp® into the Fiery-Sweet Dipping Dust and serve
Sassy Cheesy Apple Spread
Part cheese ball, part dip, this apple-loaded play on pimento cheese blends equal parts finely chopped Cosmic Crisp® with grated, dry aged white cheddar. Whirled in a blender with sour cream, Worcestershire, yellow mustard, honey & healthy pinch of garlic powder.
- Place 2 cups of grated Aged Cheddar Cheese and ½ cup sour cream in a blender
- Add one tablespoon each of Worcestershire Sauce, prepared yellow mustard and honey along with a healthy pinch of garlic powder
- Whirl until smooth. Add apple juice as needed for desired consistency.
- Stir in about 1 cup finely chopped Cosmic Crisp® with skin on along with ½-1 cup more grated aged cheddar cheese
- Serve in a Cosmic Crisp® apple hollowed out with a melon baller along with Cosmic Crackers or fresh apple slices. Top with bits of fresh dill.
Cosmic Crisp® Apple and Blue Cheese Tassies
A quick mix up of finely chopped Cosmic Crisp® apple, cream cheese, blue cheese, and honey turn simple pastry tarts into a party starter extraordinaire. They’re made in fast-baked “tassies” made from 1½-inch circular dairy case pie crust-outs. Top off with a hit of seasonal red and green—a cranberry and fresh herb sprigs.
- Roll homemade or purchased pie-crust dough onto a lightly floured surface
- Cut dough with 4- or 5-inch round cutters
- Press rounds into bottoms of ungreased mini muffin cup
- Prick dough with a fork and bake in a 375°F oven for about 7 minutes. Let cool in the pan.
- In a small bowl bring 4 ounces cream cheese and 3 ounces blue cheese to room temperature. Beat cheese with a hand mixer until smooth.
- Stir in ½ cup sour cream and 1 tablespoon honey. Stir in ½ cup finely chopped Cosmic Crisp® Apples
- Spread cheese mixture into baked “Tassie” shells. Top each Tassie with a whole cranberry and a thyme or rosemary sprig.
Apple Shortbread Wafers
Crispy, cheddar-y, and chock-full of Cosmic Crisp®, these simple slice ‘n bake, sweet and crunchy wafers make you wanna lose store-bought in a box. Flour, cheddar and good, sweet cream butter create the base, while Cosmic Crisp® and cayenne fire up the flavor. Knead, shape and chill overnight. Bake ‘til golden for perfect handheld bites.
- In a mixer bowl, beat together 1½ cups shredded aged cheddar cheese and ½ cup grated very cold butter
- Beat until mixture is rich and creamy
- Spoon in 1 cup all-purpose flour and pinch or two of cayenne or spicy seasoning salt
- Stir in 1 cup finely chopped Cosmic Crisp®
- Spoon the chunky mixture into a 1-gallon self-sealing plastic bag
- Gently press the dough into the bottom of the bag and form a square shape
- Chill the dough several hours or overnight
- To serve, slice the dough ¼-inch thick and bake in a 350°F oven for 20-25 minutes
- Cosmic Crisp® Cheddar Hand Pies
- Cosmic Crisp® Crackers
- Cosmic Crisp® Wrap Ups!
- Cosmic Crisp® Wonton Wrap-Ups
- Spicy-Sweet Dipping Dust
- Sassy Cheesy Apple Spread
- Cosmic Crisp® Apple and Blue Cheese Tassies
- Apple Shortbread Wafers