Recipe by Kari Henes, Winner of the Cosmic Crisp® Culinary Challenge At-Home Chef Category!
“This is definitely thinking outside the box with a familiar dish and a familiar pairing BUT presenting it in a different way. The photo made me want to make it immediately. I could see the different textures and imagine the taste of the sweet crispness of the apples paired with the salty gooeyness of the blue cheese grilled cheese.”
1. Preheat oven to 400℉. Prepare each of the two grilled cheese sandwiches by placing two slices of havarti cheese and 1/2 the blue cheese crumbles between two slices of bread. Spread each side of the sandwiches with melted butter and place them on a cookie sheet. Bake for 5 minutes per side, or until brown.
2. While the sandwiches bake, core one Cosmic Crisp® apple and slice thinly. Also slice thinly 1/4 of a small red onion. Set both aside.
3. To prepare the dressing, add the olive oil, juice of half a lemon and honey to a bowl. Salt and pepper to taste and whisk together.
4. Once the sandwiches have finished baking, cut each one into 8 squares and place into a large glass bowl. Add the Cosmic Crisp® apples, red onion and dressing to the bowl, toss gently. Garnish with additional blue cheese crumbles chopped parsley or apple slices and enjoy!
- 1 Cosmic Crisp® apple
- 1/4 of a small red onion
- 4 slices of bread
- 4 slices of havarti cheese
- 1/4 cup of blue cheese crumbles
- 2 tablespoons of melted butter
- 1/2 of a lemon
- 6 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of honey