Cinnamon Cosmic Crisp® Apple Muffins
Recipe by Melissa Dsouza, honorable mention for Best Muffin under the Kid Chef Category of the Culinary Challenge!
- Preheat oven to 375º F. Spray muffin tins with bakers spray or coat well with shortening or butter and flour making sure to discard any excess flour from the tins after coating. Sift together 2 cups flour, baking powder, salt and 2 teaspoons cinnamon in a medium bowl. Set aside. Mix 2 teaspoons flour with ½ teaspoon cinnamon. Toss diced apples with the flour/cinnamon mixture to coat apples in a separate bowl. Set aside.
- Cream together butter and sugar until lightened in color, about 3 minutes. Add an egg one at a time taking care to fully incorporate before adding the other. Mix in vanilla. Gently fold in flour mixture alternating with milk. Stir until just combined.
- Fold in diced apples and scoop mixture into prepared muffin tins filling about 2/3 to ¾ full. Bake until a toothpick or skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour + 2 teaspoons for coating apples
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon + ½ teaspoon for coating apples
- 2 cups diced Cosmic Crisp® apples
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk