“Appled” Bacon and Waffles with Cosmic Crisp® Maple Syrup
Recipe by Chera Little, honorable mention for Best Breakfast under the At-Home Chef Category of the Culinary Challenge!
- Heat oven to 450 convection or 475 regular. Line bake pan with sides with parchment paper or foil (makes easier clean-up). Lie out one piece of bacon and starting at one end of the Cosmic wedge roll the bacon in a single layer around until reaching the other end. Use scissors to trim remaining bacon (over wrapping will cause bacon not cook properly). Place on the baking tray in a single layer. Repeat until all wedges are wrapped. Add the extra cut bacon and the extra apple on the tray as well. Bake until bacon is cooked around the apples about 15 – 20 minutes. For the extra slices of bacon and apple, turn over half way and monitor as they might cook faster.
- Prepare the waffle maker by spraying and pre-heating on medium. To a large mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients. To a medium size measuring cup whisk the wet ingredients. Add wet ingredients to dry and mix well. Stir in the diced apples and then drop by 1/3 cups into prepped waffle maker. Cook until golden brown.
- Meanwhile to a food processor, add the remaining apple, maple syrup, cinnamon and vanilla. Puree until resembles apple sauce. Serve the syrup at room temperature or slightly warm it in the microwave. Add extra sliced baked apples to the waffles, serve with the bacon wrapped apples and drizzle with apple maple sauce.
- Recipe notes: If you prefer sweet waffles, add another tablespoon of sugar to the batter. If you prefer a savory waffle, add 1/2 tablespoon fresh minced rosemary to the batter and 1 teaspoon to the apple maple syrup. And / or do the same with red pepper flakes. Notes: if batter sits too long, it may thicken – simply add a tablespoon of liquid like water or milk. Waffles freeze well, however I don’t think they’ll be any left.
- 12 slices thin bacon
- 2 large Cosmic Crisp® apples, cored and cut into lengthwise into wedges =plus one whole for baking (cut in half)
- 1 1/4 cups gluten free flour blend or any blended flour for waffles
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 cups regular or nut milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp melted butter or oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract 1 tsp cinnamon 1/2 tsp nutmeg (optional)
Cosmic Maple Syrup
- 1 cup small diced Cosmic Crisp® apples, seeded plus 1 large Cosmic Crisp® apple peeled, cored and roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract