This Cosmic twist on Erin’s Whole Apple Dumpling is a great way to get the kids involved in holiday desserts.
- To decorate the apple with painted star cutouts, roll out any scrap dough to 1/4 inch thick.
- Use a small star cutter (1 inch or smaller) to cut stars out of the dough, rerolling the dough as needed until you have about 2-3 dozen stars.
- Transfer the stars to a parchment lined baking sheet and refrigerate for 10-15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix 1-3 drops of gel food coloring with a splash of vodka – use a small craft paintbrush to mix the two until they are well combined. (You can do this with 2 or more colors or stick to just one).
- Use the paintbrush to paint each star with color.
- Apply the stars to the assembled apple dumplings by pressing them gently in random arrangements all over the dough. Apply to the dough after it has been brushed with egg wash (this will help the cutouts stick). Repeat until all the cutouts have been applied.
- Bake according to Whole-Apple Dumpling recipe.
Whole Apple Dumpling Recipe
Leftover rough puff pastry