Recipe created by Valley Lomas
Pro tips before baking:
- 9-10 ounce Cosmic Crisp® apples are best suited for this recipe.
- The apples may touch the outside of the pan – that’s OK.
- The apples lose some color when fully baked.
- Wash Cosmic Crisp® apples. Leave skin on. Then combine your poaching liquid.
- Stir together the wine, water and sugar in a medium saucepan that can fit all three apples comfortably. Drop in the cinnamon stick; bring to a boil.
- Using a fork, pierce the bottoms of the Cosmic Crisp® apples in a cross pattern, about ¾” deep. Place apples in poaching liquid. Reduce heat down to medium low. Poach apples for 8 minutes or until just barely tender. Using a large slotted spoon, turn apples twice during poaching time. Carefully remove apples to a plate; cool slightly. Discard the poaching liquid.
- Meanwhile, place rack in the center of the oven; preheat oven to 350°F.
Prepare cake batter.
- Lightly butter a 9×5” loaf. Line with parchment paper, leaving overhang on both sides so that you can easily lift the cake from the pan. Butter the parchment paper and the sides of the pan. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, almond flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter, sugar, vanilla, and almond extract on medium speed for 1 minute. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat 1 minute more. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating 1 minute after each. Add the wine; beat 30 seconds more. (The mixture will look shaggy). Slowly add the dry mixture, beating on low speed for 1 minute. Scrape down the sides of bowl; beat 30 seconds more.
- Transfer batter to the prepared pan. Smooth batter using a rubber scraper. Gently place the apples into the batter, staggering them, making sure they do not touch the bottom of the pan. (If they touch the bottom, the bottom of the cake won’t brown when baking.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean from the cake near the center. Loosely cover with parchment or foil if the cake starts to brown too much.
- Transfer cake from oven; place on a wire rack. Cool completely.
- Using a table knife, gently loosen cake edges from sides of pan. Lift the loaf cake out of the pan using the parchment paper overhang. Transfer the loaf to a cake plate. Drizzle the caramel on top, if using.
- Using a serrated knife, cut the cake, being extra careful when cutting through the apples. Serve cake slices with a dollop of whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.
- 3 Cosmic Crisp® Apples
- 2 cups white wine
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick (optional)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened + more for greasing pan
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 3 tablespoons white wine
- ½ cup creamy caramel (optional)