*Can be made with either 2 or 3 crusts. If using only 2, use one apple less and place all apples on top of first pie crust.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Toss apples with ½ cup of granulated sugar and 4 teaspoons of cinnamon and a few gratings of fresh nutmeg.
- Melt butter in a cast iron pan on top of stove. Add brown sugar and cook, stirring constantly until melted and thickening, and all sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat. Top with one pie crust, cover with half the apples; cover with second pie crust, top with remaining apples. Top with the third pie crust.
- Whisk egg white until foamy. Brush top of pie crust with egg white, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of granulated sugar. Cut slits in top for steam to escape.
- Bake for 45 minutes – 1 hour or until apples are tender and bubbly and crust is golden brown. Add aluminum foil to edges if they brown before apples are done. Cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes before serving.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
½ cup butter
½ cup brown sugar
4-5 Cosmic Crisp® apples — peeled, quartered, and thinly sliced
2 or 3 (9 inch) refrigerated pre-rolled pie crusts*
½ cup granulated sugar
4 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
A few gratings of fresh nutmeg
1 teaspoon water
1 egg white
1 granulated sugar